Jagged Alliance: Rage! Announced. Features Experimental Drugs
A new Jagged Alliance game has been announced and it’s going a little bananas with it’s backstory. Jagged Alliance: Rage! Takes place 20 years after the first Jagged Alliance and is developed by Cliffhanger Games. These are the devs that made Jagged Alliance: Reloaded which is a modern take on the classic. That game got less than stellar reviews.
I’m not entirely sold on this because of the stink from the last Jagged Alliance game these developers made. They managed to make a modern Jagged Alliance that was worse than the classic, with issues with the line of sight system, AI and stealth being all wonky.
So about this upcoming one, it’s set in an island ruled by a drug overlord. You face-off against his crazed army. Survive the jungle, ensure your fighters are properly hydrated (which seems like an emphasis on survival... a little bit), use guerrilla warfare to weaken and eventually destroy the drug cartel.
There's a bit in the trailer that shows an enemy soldier with red eyes. Initially I thought there was going to be zombies. But the feature list on Steam states something about experimental drugs.
- 2 Player online co-op mode
- Deep turn-based tactical gameplay mixed with adventure elements
- Choose a variety of tactics ranging from stealth to brute force
- Strong character personalities with own skills, desires and personal conflicts
- Rage skills: Unique character abilities that get more powerful over the course of the battle
- Powerful Commanders coordinate enemy troops on the battlefields
- Face terrifying experimental drugs and use them to manipulate your enemies
That's sounds mildly interesting but also a little concerning that the game is essentially introducing some sort of special powers with the use of these experimental drugs. Perhaps they are more like stat boosts rather than special powers.
The game is being published by THQ Nordic and is set for release on the PC (Steam), PS4 and Xbox One. Release date was announced as 'coming soon' which really... could mean next month or next year. Stay tuned for a proper release date announcement. Hopefully we'll get some good gameplay footage from Gamescom 2018.
Amazing discounts on Strategy PC games at Fanatical. Browse now